Thursday, May 13, 2010

I don't hate ANYTHING as much as Arizona hates Mexicans




This is saying a lot for me, ‘cause I hate a lot of things. I hate waking up before the sun’s up on most days, for instance. I also hate overcooked steaks, but I digress.

There’s been a lot in the news over the past few weeks about Arizona’s new law that requires immigrants to carry around their registration documents, and enforces a zero tolerance policy on illegal immigrants. I’m not going to dive into my personal beliefs about this law because, frankly, I don’t really enjoy talking politics. Besides, everything that could have been said about this legislation has been said. Everyone from Glenn Beck to John Stewart, and even a few well respected reporters have gone on the air and spoken at length about their views of this new law. At this point, I’m over it. I think I have a solid understanding of both sides view in the matter - and I have my own opinions on it. Case closed.

And then BOOM! Imagine my surprise when I come into work today, and I go to CNN.com, as I normally do to start off the day, and right there on it’s home page is a report entitled: “Arizona bans ethnic studies in public schools”.

You’re f***ing with me, right?

At this point, I don’t even think the Arizona state government is doing these things to align with their political ideals. I think that they’re doing it because A) They’re publicity whores, or B) They honestly hate Mexicans more than I’ve ever hated anything in my entire life.

I can almost understand it if they’re doing it for the publicity. After all, how often is anything having to do with Arizona ever in the media? If you were to ask me to list in order the most important states in America, Arizona would be right near the bottom along with North Dakota, and Canada. If this is in fact the reason behind their madness, then by all means, I hope they enjoy their 15 minutes of fame.

Now the alternative, on the other hand, I just can’t fathom. There’s no way that people can hate Mexicans that much in real life. Think about all the great contributions that Mexico has given us over the years… Taco Bell comes to mind, as does Tequila – although I highly recommend not mixing the two.


All in all, the matter is out of my hands. Arizona, I hope you enjoy your Mexican free state. Oh, by the way, I also hope you don’t mind that pretty much every city that’s not overrun by rednecks is embargo-ing your ass.



- Jack Asher

No comments:

Post a Comment